Shoton Festival Tours - August 26-September 1, 2014
Duration: 08 Days
Activities: Sightseeing, 4WD Adventure, Monastery Visits, Short Hikes
Group Size: 1-10 pax
Start / End: Lhasa
Highest Altitude: 5,045m ( 16,548ft) at Karo La
Best Season: April - October
Day 01 : Flight to Gonkar Airport and transfer to Lhasa(3,500m/11,667ft)
Flight to Gonkar airport of Lhasa .Upon arrival, you will be met and greeted by the Tibetan guide and drive to Lhasa. And transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Shoton Festival celebration in Drepung Monastery and Lhasa sightseeing (B).
Drive early morning to Drepung Monastery to secure your place for watching festival. A giant Buddha Thangka will be displayed amidst an exciting atmosphere. Watch the festival activities for sometime and later drive to old Tibetan part of Lhasa and visit the The Jokhang Temple and Bakhor Street.
Day 03: Shoton Festival Celebration in Norbulingkha Palace and Lhasa sightseeing (B).
Attend the Shoton festival in Norbulingkha Palace and later take the sightseeing tour of Potala Palace and Sera Monastery.
Day 04: Yangpacheng Hot Spring and Namtso Lake Excursion. (B)
Early morning drive to Yangpacheng Hot Spring which is 58 miles north from Lhasa. Appreciate the landscape of Qiang grassland and Nyacheng Tangula Snow Mountain Range. Continue driving to Namtso (98 miles), literally a heavenly lake, which is the biggest lake in Tibet and the second biggest salt lake in China as well as the highest lake in the world (15,573 ft).
Day 05: Lhasa-Gyantse . (13467ft, 160miles, 6 hrs) (B)
Today, you will set out along the friendship highway, heading westwards to Gyantse, following the bank of Yamdrok Tso for more than 40 miles and motoring over two high passes, Kamba La (15,700 ft) amd Laro la ( 16, 500ft)
Day 06: Gyantse-Shigatse (12,785ft, 57miles, 2 hrs) (B )
After breakfast, you will visit the Pelkor Chode & Kumbum Monastery which are the highlights of Gyantse and drive to Shigatse where you will visit the famous Tashilunbo Monastery-the principal seat of Panchen Lama-the second most venerated religious leader of Tibet.
Day 07: Shigatse-Lhasa (186miles, 7 hrs) (B)
Drive to Lhasa via new road that runs parallel to the Yarlung Tsambo River. The road is rough and rehabilitation work is going on. If time permits, you will stop by Yundrungling Monastery in Tradruk. Check in hote and take rest for the day.
Day 08: Lhasa-Departure (B)
Transfer to Gonkar airport (60 miles, 2 hrs) and catch your flight to next destination like Nepal, Bhutan or India.
- The ruins of Yambulakhang Palace and Tradruk Temple in Tsedang.
- Samye monastery-the first Buddhist Monastery.
- Dalai Lamas's Potala and Norbulingkha Palaces, Drepung -the largest and most powerful of the Gelug monasteries, Sera-one of the largest monasteries of Tibet, ancient Jorkhang Temple and Barkhor Street in old Tibetan quarter of Lhasa.
- Shoton Festival
- Spectacular drive over Kamba La (15,700ft) and Karo La (16,500 ft) to Gyantse.
- Yamdrok Tso-the turquoise green water lake.
- Kumbum Stupa and Pelkore Chode Monastery in Gyantse.
- Shalu Monastery and Tashilunbo Monastery at Shigatse.
- Barren landscapes and friendliest Tibetan people.
Dates and PricesStart and End dates: Flexible around festival date
Festival Date: August 26-September 1, 2014
Thangka unveiling at Drepung Monastery. Picnics and operas are held in parks, particularly under the trees at Norbulingka. Bonfires at night.
Tour Cost: For best and reasonable cost, contact us
Trip Cost Includes
- Accommodation on twin sharing
- Daily Breakfast
- All transfers and sightseeing by a private air conditioned car or coach
- Sightseeing admission fees
- English speaking Tour Guide
- Tibet Travel Permit
Trip Cost Does Not Include
- International and internal air fare
- Airport Taxes
- Chinese visa fee
- Lunch and dinner except as indicated.
- Travel & Health Insurance.
- All extra expenses caused due to nature or unforeseen events. Excess baggage charges
- Optional tipping to local staffs, hotels etc.
- Items of a personal nature (sodas, alcoholic beverages, laundry, telephone etc.
Tibet Tours & Mount Kailash
- Tibet, Nepal and Bhutan Tour
- Everest Base Camp Overland Tour
- Everest Base Camp Traditional
- Eastern Tibet
- Explore Central Tibet
- Horse Racing Festivals of Tibet
- Adventure in the Shangri La
- Kathmandu to Mount Kailash
- Lhasa to Mount Kailash Yatra
- Lhasa, Everest and Kailash Tour
- Lhasa to Yerpa Adventure
- Lhasa To Shigatse Exploration
- Lhasa to Guge Kingdom
- Lhasa and surrounding excursions
- Lhasa and Namtso Lake Tour
- Mountain Biking In Tibet
- Overland to Everest Base Camp
- Shoton Festival Tour
- Sichuan Tibet Overland Adventure
- Tibet Culture Tour
- Tibet Lhasa Tour
- Tibet Overland Tour
- Train Journey In Tibet
- Horse Caravan Adventures
- Northern Tibet Overland
- Trekking in Tibet
- Festivals in Tibet
- Tibet Attractions
Himalayan Combined Tours
- Nepal Tibet Bhutan Tour 14 Days
- Himalaya Countries Tour 21 Days
- Bhutan Nepal Tours 15 days
- Nepal Tibet Tour 10 Days
- India Nepal Tours 15 days
- India Bhutan Nepal Tour 19 days
- Tibet Nepal India Tours 14 days
- Nepal, Tibet O/L & Bhutan 16 Days
- Bangkok Bhutan Tour - 09 Days
- India Bhutan Tours 11 Days
- Nepal Darjeeling Sikkim Bhutan Tour
- Tibet Nepal Tour 13 Days
- Bhutan Nepal Tibet Tour 15 Days
- Beijing Tibet Everest Tour - 11 Days
- India Bhutan Nepal Tibet Tours
- China Tibet Bhutan Tour - 13 Days
- Srilanka India Nepal Tour - 22 Days
- Myanmar(Burma) Bhutan Nepal Tour - 19 Days
- Checklist of Tibet
- Climate & Weather of Tibet
- Tibet Weather Averages
- East Tibet, Kham and Amdo
- Ethics and Etiquettes of Tibet
- High Altitude Sickness in Tibet
- How to Get Tibet and Away?
- Mountain Biking in Tibet
- Passport and Visa for Tibet
- Tibet Attractions
- Tibet Travel is an Adventure
- Tibet Travel Permit
- Tibetan Calendar
- Tibetan Custom
- Tibetan Medicine
- West Tibet and Mount Kailash