Gosainkunda Trekking is famous pilgrimage trek located in Langtang region. The Langtang Valley located only 19 miles North of Kathmandu, is the closest approach to mountains from Kathmandu. This valley is popularly known as Valley of Glaciers and lies just below the main crest of the Himalaya. The mountains rise on either side of the valley, soaring in to the sky. Langtang Lirung 7246m dominates the valley, the highest peak in this area. The valley offers pine forest, slowly moving rivers and swift mountain streams, rugged rock and snow-capped peaks, grassy downs and meadows strewn with daisies and wild primal. In the upper part of valley, there are snow bridges spanning angry torrents, high passes enveloped in mist, tiny lake with icebergs floating on them and water of crystalline brightness. Gosaikunda, a sacred pilgrimage site for the Hindus, is dotted with lakes atop the mountain, offering a quiet respite. Join our Gosainkunda Trekking Now.
- Day 1 Kathmandu-Sundarijal-Chisopani We drive from Kathmandu to Sundarijal for about one hour and the trek commences from here. We start ascending steeply through dense forest of oak, pine and rhododendron along with a large water pipe, that supplies water to Kathmanduites, until the ridge of Burlang Bhanjyang(2442m) from where you will have magnificent views of Annapurna in the west to Ganesh Himal and Numbur in the East. Then, you descend again through oak and rhododendron forest, cultivated fields and meadows to Chisopani at 2194m.
- Day 2 Chisopani- Gul Bhanjyang- Khutumsang After a descent of about one and half hour, you reach a alrge Tamang village-Pati bhanjyang from where you again climb to cross a pass of 2470m and then descend to Gul Bhanjyang, another Tamang Village. From here the trail again hikes to a pass of 2620m before descends to Khtumsang. You will have splendid views, stretching from the Annapurna’s and Manaslu in the west to Numbur in the East.
- Day 3 Khutumsang-Tharepati From Khutumsang, the trail follows easily through forest with superb views across to Numbur, Jugal Himal and many other snowcapped peaks, before you arrive a ridge form where a short descent brings you to Mangan Kharka at 3285m. Now, the trail gradually gains altitude through pine and rhododendron forest with good views down into the Helambu valley and across to Jugal Himal and Numbur in the Solukhumbu, to Tharepati at 3490m.
- Day 4 Tharepati-Gosaikunda From Tharepati, the trail descends to a stream and ascends along the ridge, through rhododendron and juniper forests, to Ghopte at 3359m. From here, we again ascend to Laurebina pass at 4610m, pass four small lakes and descend through rugged country and arrive in Gosaikunda at 4336m. There are three sacred lakes in Gosaikunda- Saraswati Kunda, Bharavi Kunda and Gosaikund. This third lake is particularly sacred and is a place of pilgrimage in summer. According to the legend, this lake was created by Lord Shiva himself when he pierced a glacier with his trident to obtain water to quench his thirst after he drank the poison which was a by product while churning the ocean by Suras and Asuras for ambrosia.
- Day 5 Gosaikunda-Sing Gompa From the lake- Saraswati Kunda, the trail ascends to a ridge. There are good views across Langtang valley to Langtang Lirung. To the west are dramatic views of Himalchuli, Ganesh Himal and Manaslu. From this ridge, we descend to Sing Gompa at 3254m. There is a small monastery and a cheese factory in Sing Gompa.
- Day 6 Sing Gompa- Syabru-Dhunche After a short ascent, the trail brings you to a ridge from where you descend steep down, through forest of oaks, firs and rhododendrons, to Syabru at 2130m. From here, the trail leads you to Bharku at 1860m from where you continue along the ridge, descend steeply down and cross Trishuli river to arrive at Dhunche where you will stay overnight. Dhunche is a pretty village at 1950m.
- Day 7 Dhunche- Kathmandu It takes 10-12 hours by bus to reach Kathmandu. You drive through Thare, Betrawati and Trishuli Bazaar. The road condition improves there after. Sometime, you will have some fine mountain views. Service ends after transfer to your hotel.
Gosainkunda Trekking can be done any time of the year.