Tibet overland tours starts in Lhasa and end in Kathmandu by driving along the friendship highway.
No land has captured man’s imagination for its remoteness & almost mystical aura as TIBET, the Forbidden Kingdom on the roof of the world. Captivated by Tibet’s mystic charm & ruggedness great explorers & adventurers of the century have ventured into this holy land rendered inaccessible by the hostile natural conditions & bandits that waylaid them across through the Himalayas.
Despite untold ravages brought about during the Cultural Revolution, Tibet’s past grandeur, majesty, magic & mystery still remains undiminished. One can still see today nomads herding their yaks, pilgrims worshiping at sacred shrines & the expansive, striking & enduring Himalayan topography. Tibet is truly an “Adventurers’ Paradise”.
Driving over the Himalayas by way of the incredible Arniko Highway that connects Kathmandu with Tibet. Enjoy fabulous Tibetan mountain scenery on the way to Lhasa, you will have a tour to mystical Buddhist monasteries of Tashilungpo at Shigatse, the Kumbum Stupa at Gyantse, and drive past the beautiful Turquoise Lake. In Lhasa visit the famous Potala and Norbulinkha palaces, the great Drepung Monastery and walk through the bustling Barkor Bazaar before flying back to Kathmandu (or onward to China). A choice of hotels are available in Lhasa and best hotels in other places. An unforgettable encounter with forbidden Tibet.
• Dalai Lamas’s Potala and Norbulingkha Palaces, Drepung -the largest and most powerful of the Gelug monasteries, Sera-one of the largest monasteries of Tibet, ancient Jorkhang Temple and Barkhor Street in old Tibetan quarter of Lhasa.
• Spectacular views of Himalayas and Tibetan plateau from Kamba La (15,700ft) and Karo La passes (16,500 ft).
• Yamdrok Tso-the turquoise green water lake.
• Kumbum Stupa and Pelkore Chode Monastery in Gyantse.
• Shalu Monastery and Tashilunbo Monastery at Shigatse.
• Mount Everest and other majestic peaks.
• Highest passes (Gyatso La, 5 220m), Lablung La (5, 124m) and Tong La (5, 120m) with great views.
• Tibetan villages.
Trip Facts – 8 days Trip
• Group Size: 1+
• Best Season: March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October and November
• Tour Grade: Moderate
• Trip Type: Remote Touristic
• Activities: Cultural Sightseeing Tour
• Highest Altitude: Gyantso La ( 5,220m/17,122 ft)
• Accommodation: Hotels & Resorts with your Budget
• Country of Tour: Nepal/ China
Day 01: ARRIVE LHASA (3650m) [Kathmandu-Lhasa flight only Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday ]
Fly from Kathmandu , Beijing or Chengdu to Gongar Airport , Lhasa in Tibet . Upon arrival you will be met by your Tibet Guide and transferred (90 Kms) to Lhasa . overnight in Tibet Lhasa Hotel.
Day 02: LHASA SIGHTSEEING (3650m)
Guided sightseeing tour of Potala, the winter palace of the Dalai Lama; Drepung, the biggest monastic university of Tibet & Nechung Monastery, temple of the State oracle of Tibet . overnight in Tibet Lhasa Hotel
Day 03: LHASA SIGHTSEEING (3650m)
Guided sightseeing tour of Jokhang, the central cathedral of Tibet , Barkhor, the bustling Lhasa market encircling the Jokhang Temple , Tibetan Medical Center & Norbulinka Palace . overnight in Tibet Lhasa Hotel
Day 04: LHASA-GYANGTSE (3990m, 350 Kms).
Drive via Yamdrok Tso, the Turquoise Lake , to Gyangtse across Kampa-la (5050 m) & Karo-la (5045 m) passes. Visit Kubum Stupa & Pelkor Chode Monastery.
Day 05: GYANGTSE-SHALU-SHIGATSE (3860m, 90 Kms).
Drive to Shigatse. En route visit Shalu Monastery. Visit Tashilhunpo Monastery, the seat of Panchen Lama who is the 2nd in the Tibetan Buddhist religious hierarchy & Shigatse Market.
Day 06: SHIGATSE-SAKYA-SHEGAR (4350m, 232 kms)
Drive to Shegar across Tsou-la pass (4500 m) & Gyatso-la pass (5220 m). En route visit Sakya Monastery.
Day 07: SHEGAR-ZHANGMU (2300 m, 160 Kms)
Drive over Lalung-la pass to Zhangmu. En route visit Milarepa Cave.
Day 08: KATHMANDU (125 kms)
Walk across Friendship Bridge to Nepal & transfer to Kathmandu
Dates and Prices
• Start and End dates: Flexible Date
• Tour Cost: For best and reasonable cost, contact us
Trip Cost Includes
• Accommodation on twin sharing
• Daily Breakfast
• All transfers and sightseeing by a private air conditioned car or coach
• Sightseeing admission fees
• English speaking Tour Guide
• Tibet Travel Permit
Trip Cost Does Not Include
• International and internal air fare
• Airport Taxes
• Chinese visa fee
• Lunch and dinner except as indicated.
• Travel & Health Insurance.
• All extra expenses caused due to nature or unforeseen events. Excess baggage charges
• Optional tipping to local staffs, hotels etc.
• Items of a personal nature (sodas, alcoholic beverages, laundry, telephone etc.