Tibet overland tours starts in Lhasa and end in Kathmandu by driving along the friendship highway. No land has captured man’s imagination for its remoteness & almost mystical aura as TIBET, the Forbidden Kingdom on the roof of the world. Captivated by Tibet’s mystic charm & ruggedness great explorers & adventurers of the century have ventured into this holy land rendered inaccessible by the hostile natural conditions & bandits that waylaid them across through the Himalayas.
Despite untold ravages brought about during the Cultural Revolution, Tibet’s past grandeur, majesty, magic & mystery still remains undiminished. One can still see today nomads herding their yaks, pilgrims worshiping at sacred shrines & the expansive, striking & enduring Himalayan topography. Tibet is truly an “Adventurers’ Paradise”.
Driving over the Himalayas by way of the incredible Arniko Highway that connects Kathmandu with Tibet. Enjoy fabulous Tibetan mountain scenery on the way to Lhasa, you will have a tour to mystical Buddhist monasteries of Tashilungpo at Shigatse, the Kumbum Stupa at Gyantse, and drive past the beautiful Turquoise Lake. In Lhasa visit the famous Potala and Norbulinkha palaces, the great Drepung Monastery and walk through the bustling Barkor Bazaar before flying back to Kathmandu (or onward to China). A choice of hotels are available in Lhasa and best hotels in other places. An unforgettable encounter with forbidden Tibet.
- Dalai Lamas’s Potala and Norbulingkha Palaces, Drepung -the largest and most powerful of the Gelug monasteries, Sera-one of the largest monasteries of Tibet, ancient Jorkhang Temple and Barkhor Street in old Tibetan quarter of Lhasa.
- Spectacular views of Himalayas and Tibetan plateau from Kamba La (15,700ft) and Karo La passes (16,500 ft).
- Yamdrok Tso-the turquoise green water lake.
- Kumbum Stupa and Pelkore Chode Monastery in Gyantse.
- Shalu Monastery and Tashilunbo Monastery at Shigatse.
- Mount Everest and other majestic peaks.
- Highest passes (Gyatso La, 5 220m), Lablung La (5, 124m) and Tong La (5, 120m) with great views.
- Tibetan villages.